It is the policy of Fairleigh Dickinson University to conduct background checks on prospective and current employees for selected positions of employment to determine fitness for employment.
The following items will be included in the Background Check:
- Credit Report
- Social Security Number Fraud Detect
- Criminal History – County, State, and/or Federal
- Driving Record
- Prior Employment Verification
- Education Verification
- Professional License Verification
Background checks for positions in Group I will commence January 1, 2003. Those positions in Group II will take effect beginning with the 03/04 Academic year.1. Background Checks will be required for new employees being hired into the following positions and for current employees assuming the following positions, if a Background Check has not already been completed:
Group I (effective 1/1/03)
- All Officers of the University and their Assistants/Special Assistants, Associate Vice Presidents, Assistant Vice Presidents, Provosts and their Special Assistants, Associate Provosts, Assistant Provosts, Deans, Associate Deans, and Assistant Deans;
- All positions in the Departments of Career and Human Resources, Public Safety, Finance/Accounting, Purchasing, Information Resources and Technology, Enrollment Services, Financial Aid, Admissions and Campus Facilities;
- All exempt positions in the Departments of Student Affairs, Student Life (including Chaplains), Residence Life, Student Health Services, Counseling, International Student Services, Educational Opportunity Fund Program, Psychological Services, and Regional Center for College Students with Learning Disabilities;
- Exempt positions in University Advancement dealing with development/fundraising;
- All Athletic Coaches (full-time and part-time);
- Director of University Public Relations;
- Resident Assistants (only criminal history applies to this group); and
- Other positions as may be determined by the hiring official.
Group II (effective 03/04 academic year)
- All full-time faculty – credit report will not be included in this group's Background Check and,
- Faculty Department Chairs/School Directors.
2. The Background Check will be conducted prior to the offer of employment being extended or following a verbal offer with knowledge that a written offer is contingent upon the results of the background check.
3. The determination for fitness for employment will be made in consultation with Human Resources and the Hiring Official and if need be, General Counsel.
4. The cost of the Background Check will be paid for by Human Resources.
5. All Background Checks will be conducted in accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and administered in accordance with the University’s Affirmative Action policy. Applicants to whom tentative offers of employment have been made will be required to execute written consents authorizing background checks. FDU will keep confidential all information gathered in background history reports and will use the information solely for the purpose of establishing applicants’ fitness for employment. FDU will not disclose background history reports or information contained in such reports to third parties without applicant consent, except if required by law. Results of background checks will be sent only to the Vice President of Human Resources.
6. Background history reports will be maintained in a secured file in the Human Resources department and only the Vice President of Human Resources and University General Counsel will have access to the file.
7. Background history reports for candidates found to be unfit for employment will be destroyed after a two-year period.